Our network

Eight Shot, Four Dead in Shooting Outside City Grill in Buffalo | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Eight Shot, Four Dead in Shooting Outside City Grill in Buffalo

BUFFALO. NY (WGRZ) -- The Buffalo Police have made an arrest in connection with Saturday morning's mass shooting at the City Grill.

Keith Johnson, 25, of Minnesota Ave. was arrested Saturday afternoon and charged with four counts of murder in the second degree.

A Buffalo Police S.W.A.T. Team surrounded his home on Minnesota Avenue Saturday morning before taking him into custody.

However, in light of new evidence brought forth late Saturday night, Erie County District Attorney, Frank Sedita, tells 2 On Your Side those charges are expected to be dropped.

Eight people were shot, and officials have confirmed that four of the people are dead.

The shooting occured around 2:40 a.m. on Main St. in downtown Buffalo in front of the City Grill.  A police source tells 2 On Your Side they believe there was only one shooter.

Buffalo Police Commissioner Dan Derenda says that a couple was celebrating their one-year wedding anniversary with friends from the Buffalo area when a "fight of some sort" broke out inside the restaurant.

The shooting began from the east Side of Main St. from a parking lot.

The restaurant was then closed and the altercation continued outside, where the shooting took place.

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown calls the incident a "happy occasion that turned to tragedy."

Of the four deceased, 2 on Your Side has confirmed that one was the groom of the married couple. Two other known victims at this time are Shawntia McNeil and Tiffany Wilhite.

Derenda says that one male, 30, remains in critical condition, two other men, 27 and 32, are in stable condition, and one 30 year old male is in good condition. They are all at ECMC.

In terms of exact details of the incident, Derenda says that they are "sketchy" at this point. He stresses that there were possibly over 100 witnesses to this crime and that anyone who may have seen something should come forward.

"If you have information," Derenda said, "we need to hear it, and we need to hear it now."

Chief of Detectives, Dennis Richards, said Erie County District Attorney Frank Sedita is personally involved in the investigation.

Brown expressed his condolences an concern for the families in this "terrible tragedy." And he also urged local clergy to address the issue of violence.

NFTA removed security cameras from the area and handed them over to the Buffalo Police. Several of the glass windows at a nearby subways stop were damaged, as well as a nearby business.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Confidential TIPCALL Line at 847-2255.








Downtown Businesses