9/11/1942 ~ Tragedy at Curtiss-Wright | Business
Couirer Express September 12, 1942
Pilotless P-40 Plunging From High Altitude, Goes Nose First Into Factory - Blazing Gasoline From Pursuits Fuel Tanks Sprays Victims; Pilot Is Burned Before Taking To ParachuteAmbulances Called From All Hospitals To Remove Injured
Six workers were killed and 43 others were injured shortly after 5 p.m. when an airplane, crippled at a high altitude by fire, fell nose first through the roof of the Curtiss-Wright Corporation Airplane division plant at the Municipal Airport.....
THEY MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE DEFENDING THEIR COUNTRY
- The Dead:
- Pilot Burned Seriously
- "It came nearer and nearer to where I was standing at the auto entrance for the airport building. For a while I thought it was going to hit the airport building. I wanted to run, but I couldn't. I was scared stiff and couldn't move." Then the plane swept over the Curtiss roof and crashed....
- "When the plane hit, we could feel the heat on our backs. Then someone yelled "FIRE" and men rushed from all directions grabbing the fire hoses off the wall and heading to the scene...."
- "Dandrew said the scene of human agony all around him after the explosion was most indescribable...."
- “The men who gave their lives in this tragic accident were soldiers of production. They wore no uniforms, carried no deadly arms, met no enemy on the battlefield, but they made the supreme sacrifice defending their country. They were fighting on the production line and there they met death as bravely as did the defenders of Bataan, Corregidor, Wake, and Midway...” William Davey - General Manager Curtiss-Wright Corporation Airplane Division, Buffalo Plants
Those Who Died In This Tragedy..............
Jack H. Boyer, Paul Chase, Cecil Clark, James E. Collins, Lester F. Glenn, Salvatore Palmeri, Carlson M. Rauh, Francis Ryan, Norman Savage, Joseph J. Sciolino, Samuel Shalala, Martin Till, Laverne Voelker, Frank Warda
Those Who Were Injured............................
Edward Buehler, Winston Danarow, James Doucette, Andrew Fiorella, Edward Harrison, Raymond Hartwig, Frank Head, James Herdic, Louis Jakubowski, William Kenny, George Kitta, Steve Kovach, Newton Kranso, Michael Kuzara, Frank Laber, Louis Malinowski, Grace Marlotte, Harry Mills, Clarence Moorhouse, Sager Nebral, Merwin Nellis, Rocco Orioli, Lawrence Preischel, Jack Purnell, Joseph Rosolowski, Geraldine Scott, Thomas Sheppard, Edward Shoemaker, Chester Stubensz, Roman Swiniuch, Truman Taggert, Leon Thompson, Dominic Visone, Raymond Yager
- For the Complete story go to: It Happened Today - September 11, 1942 - Tragedy At Curtiss-Wright in The Buffalo History Gazette
Top Downtown Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers