Grisanti To Sponsor Domestic Violence Roundtable | Crime
Senator Mark Grisanti (R, I-60) will sponsor a New York State Senate Roundtable,”Domestic Violence: Prevention Starts With You” on Friday, April 4th from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., at the Walter J. Mahoney Building, 65 Court Street in Buffalo, Senate Hearing Room 6.
Unfortunately, one in four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime. Surprisingly, only one in seven instances is reported.
- Mary Travers Murphy, Executive Director Family Justice Center
- David Wisniewski, brother of murder victim Jackie Wisniewski (shot to death at Erie County Medical Center);
- Dr. Matthew L. Withiam-Leitch, MD, PhD at the University of Buffalo Family Medicine and Family Justice Center Board Member;
- Elizabeth King, sister of domestic violence murder victim; and
- Survivors of Domestic Violence
“Domestic violence is a crime against human dignity with lasting consequences for victims and their children,” said Senator Grisanti. “We, as a community, must be able to detect the signs of domestic violence so that we can prevent and put a stop to it.”
The Family Justice Center’s unique model bringing together 13 different partner agencies under one roof helps domestic abuse victims and their children secure healing, hope and safe havens. “But not enough people are aware of the center’s existence,” says Mary Travers Murphy, Family Justice Center Executive Director. “And many victims and their families are unaware of the red flags and signs that signal danger and possibly death.”
Practitioners, survivors, volunteers, advocates and interested parties are all invited to attend the event.