3-Step Cream Sauce! | Families
It can be tempting to buy one of those powdery packages when you want to make say, pasta Alfredo. They're easy and they taste good, right? Well, do they? In reality what you end up with is a bunch of preservatives and fake cheese flavor. The same goes for most jarred cream sauces, and even mac & cheese. I was a victim of bad sauce myself, until I figured out this no-fail way to make any cream sauce in only a few minutes.
What I have here is a base. You can make it into any cheese sauce you like by just adding different ingredients. I'll give you a few suggestions after we've discussed the basic recipe.
Basic 3 Step Cream Sauce:
1 shallot or small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced or grated*
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups milk or cream
salt and pepper
1. Saute shallot and garlic in the butter over medium heat until translucent (couple of minutes).
2. Add flour and stir, mixing everything together. This is called a Roux (pronounced "rue"), if you want to get fancy. Stir and cook for about a minute, don't let it turn dark on you.
3. Add milk and stir until thickened. Salt and pepper to taste.
See? Easy. Now, for extra flavor you can add any cheese you like. I'm a big fan of cream cheese, or cheddar for mac & cheese. For pasta Alfredo add Parmesan, Fontina, Romano, you name it! Add chicken strips or veggies and you got yourself a gourmet meal. I made this once with goat cheese and pesto... holy moly.
* tip: Don't waste time dicing garlic. If you have a small cheese grater, just grate the peeled cloves right over the sauce pan. It saves time and all you have to do is rinse out the grater when you're done.
Upcoming Events near Downtown
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- No Frills Buffalo Publishing Company Releases Three New Books
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Announces Annual Poster Competition
- Stuyvesant Apartment Residents Call For More Security
- Buffalo Police Make Arrest in Murder of 68-Year-Old Man
- Tire Rodeo Competition is Serious Business for High School Students