Tension Between Two Buffalo City Council Members | News
BUFFALO, NY-- There was a strange sight Tuesday night involving the Buffalo Common Council.
Several council members showed up for a re-organization meeting at Francesca's Restaurant on Seneca Street, called by council member Richard Fontana.
That included council president David Franczyk who spoke out against the meeting.
Franczyk says the gathering violated the open meetings law.
Here is some of the exchange between Franczyk and Fontana:
Fontana: "It's not an official city meeting."
Franczyk: "Yes it is on letterhead. From the office of the city clerk. The reorganization meeting has been called at Francesca's restaurant. Where does the city clerk call for an event that deals with these matters? This press has to be here."
Franczyk: "If you go into executive session without the corporation counsel and without the secretary, you are in violation of the charter.
Fontana: "Let's cancel tonight's dinner."
Fontana did cancel the meeting, but some members stayed for dinner.
Upcoming Events near Downtown
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- No Frills Buffalo Publishing Company Releases Three New Books
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Announces Annual Poster Competition
- Stuyvesant Apartment Residents Call For More Security
- Buffalo Police Make Arrest in Murder of 68-Year-Old Man
- Tire Rodeo Competition is Serious Business for High School Students