Tension Between Two Buffalo City Council Members | News
BUFFALO, NY-- There was a strange sight Tuesday night involving the Buffalo Common Council.
Several council members showed up for a re-organization meeting at Francesca's Restaurant on Seneca Street, called by council member Richard Fontana.
That included council president David Franczyk who spoke out against the meeting.
Franczyk says the gathering violated the open meetings law.
Here is some of the exchange between Franczyk and Fontana:
Fontana: "It's not an official city meeting."
Franczyk: "Yes it is on letterhead. From the office of the city clerk. The reorganization meeting has been called at Francesca's restaurant. Where does the city clerk call for an event that deals with these matters? This press has to be here."
Franczyk: "If you go into executive session without the corporation counsel and without the secretary, you are in violation of the charter.
Fontana: "Let's cancel tonight's dinner."
Fontana did cancel the meeting, but some members stayed for dinner.
Top Downtown Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers