Tension Between Two Buffalo City Council Members | News
BUFFALO, NY-- There was a strange sight Tuesday night involving the Buffalo Common Council.
Several council members showed up for a re-organization meeting at Francesca's Restaurant on Seneca Street, called by council member Richard Fontana.
That included council president David Franczyk who spoke out against the meeting.
Franczyk says the gathering violated the open meetings law.
Here is some of the exchange between Franczyk and Fontana:
Fontana: "It's not an official city meeting."
Franczyk: "Yes it is on letterhead. From the office of the city clerk. The reorganization meeting has been called at Francesca's restaurant. Where does the city clerk call for an event that deals with these matters? This press has to be here."
Franczyk: "If you go into executive session without the corporation counsel and without the secretary, you are in violation of the charter.
Fontana: "Let's cancel tonight's dinner."
Fontana did cancel the meeting, but some members stayed for dinner.
Upcoming Events near Downtown
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- NYC-BASED VENTURE CAPITALIST AND BLOGGER FRED WILSON TO SPEAK AT LARKIN SQUARE ON AUG. 5
- Check Out The Erie County Fair Admission Discounts
- Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge Inspection Lane Construction to Result in Canada-Bound Traffic Closure
- Buffalo River Fest Park Hosts 3rd Annual “Wardstock”
- New Tifft Street Pier and Boardwalk opens to public