Crime Down in Buffalo for 2011 | News
BUFFALO, NY-- The Buffalo Police commissioner says the crime rate for the City of Buffalo down for 2011.
And when it comes to the number of homicides, it's actually down significantly.
Commissioner Daniel Derenda talked to 2 On Your Side Friday and said last year the department had 55 homicides. This year, that number is much lower at 36.
He credits action that's been taken against gangs , like the 10th Street Gang, across the city for helping lower the homicide rate in Buffalo.
The commissioner tells says violent crime, like assaults, is also down nine percent from last year to this year.
Upcoming Events near Downtown
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- No Frills Buffalo Publishing Company Releases Three New Books
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Announces Annual Poster Competition
- Stuyvesant Apartment Residents Call For More Security
- Buffalo Police Make Arrest in Murder of 68-Year-Old Man
- Tire Rodeo Competition is Serious Business for High School Students