Canadian Consulate Closes in Buffalo | News
BUFFALO, N.Y. - Thursday was move-out day for employees of the Canadian Consulate who worked in the HSBC tower.
Employees left the building with a message on their office windows reading "Thank you Buffalo."
Workers gathered together for one last time to enjoy a few drinks and share memories of their time in the Queen City.
They say Western New Yorkers will miss the convenience of having the Canadian Consulate in the city of Buffalo.
"Now you have to send your application to New York which might take weeks," says William Lee, who was an employee at the consulate. "Whereas, in Buffalo we had a window. You could come here, in and out, same day service."
More than half of the employees laid off in Buffalo were American.
Top Downtown Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers