Hundreds Swim For Carly's Club | News
BUFFALO, NY - Local swimmers hit the water to raise funds once again for a local charity which helps cancer patients and their families.
The Carly's Crossing event was held for the 10th year at Gallagher's Beach State Park with over 400 participants involved with competitive and fun distance swims.
This event is a part of the overall Carly's Club program started 12 years ago by a young cancer patient named Carly Collard and her family.
It has grown dramatically through those dozen years.
"You learn your child has cancer, there's a lot of things that are outside of your control. One of the things you have inside your control is the attitude and what you put forth throughout your family and the treatments. And you know if families have resources in the community, resources that we're creating today it makes the pediatric cancer experience a lot more manageable for everybody involved," said Carly's dad Chuck Collard.
Collard says Carly's Club is nearing the $1 million mark for fundraising to help families deal with a cancer diagnosis.
Top Downtown Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers