Inmate Death Investigation | News
BUFFALO, N.Y. - The Erie County Sheriff's Department is investigating a case where an inmate died after being arrested.
We're told the burglary suspect, Richard Metcalf, of Lancaster, was taken to ECMC after being arrested and then transported to the holding center.
At the holding center, guards noticed the Metcalf was acting irrational, so they called an ambulance to take him back to ECMC.
While in the ambulance, the undersheriff said the man appeared to have suffered a heart attack.
Police say the inmate was taken to the ICU of ECMC, where he died.
After performing an autopsy, investigators determined Metcalf had died as a result of a massive heart attack.
Upcoming Events near Downtown
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- No Frills Buffalo Publishing Company Releases Three New Books
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Announces Annual Poster Competition
- Stuyvesant Apartment Residents Call For More Security
- Buffalo Police Make Arrest in Murder of 68-Year-Old Man
- Tire Rodeo Competition is Serious Business for High School Students